Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Down a Mysterious San Mateo Ave

I have the bad habit of assuming all restaurants in San Mateo lie within the three block 3rd & B street radius. Considering I live on 20th, this is rather silly... but it still gives me a little thrill every time I find a row of culinary commerce elsewhere. Bingo!

Gee Unit and I have started up our own rendition of Fancy Food Fridays (sorry Alice!) and try to hit up a non EA place for lunch once a week. A few weeks ago, we tried Yuzu Sushi & Grill on 37th street. Also as per usual, we went a bit early. Lucky thing because it quickly filled up. As per usual I think this place is a game industry favorite because I spied a herd of Pogo people at a table nearby.

According to Yelp, this place is hardcore traditional. I guess so? They serve a lot fewer of the awesome fried American rolls than other places in the area do. It has a reputation of being expensive, but luckily they have lunch specials for under $15 (still kinda pricey). 

I ended up getting a weird teriyaki bowl. I totally can't remember the meat. I *think* it was unagi. I'm so terrible at remembering nihongo de fish names. Totally silly since I eat Japanese a ton and studied the language, but it's one of those things that just won't stick. It was tasty, but the eel wasn't my favorite. Granted I'm not a meat person, but I ate all the rice around it and left probably 1/2. 
Came with soup and Japanese tray!

Steve got a typical sushi fare. It's funny looking back at the picture, because his lunch is practically identical to the sushi plate I got at the tsukiji fish market last week :) (post soon to come). I guess this place is legit! He seemed to like it, and the presentation was pretty.
no prawn head in soup. not THAT authentic :P
Seems like a good place to hit up if you want fresh, non-Americanized rolls. 

But watch out! Service was SLOWWWW. He got his food like 15 mins before me. totally awkward.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I've been here at dinner time and have gotten the soup with the shrimp head in it. it was bomb. :-p

    ReplyDelete