Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

At Home in the Castro :)

I freaking love the Castro! It is the only neighborhood that is always hopping no matter what the day or time. Plus, I miss my beloved el Seandola so much, and it reminds me of his awesomeness (altho he's not that awesome considering he doesn't even read my blog >:P)

Last Friday, despite being up for like 2 days straight due to the International Date Line and some serious bummed-out-ness about leaving Japan, I knew I had to go out. As much as I am in love with Tokyo, San Francisco means everything to me and I had missed it very much <3. What could be better than eating dinner at Home, a comfort-food stop in the Castro?? :)

The location is great, right by the downtown cross-section of the neighborhood on Market St. There is ample seating, and a full menu with a lot of traditional "home-cooked" favorites. Since Eugi was super hungry, and owed me big-time for withholding important information :P, we got lotsa food! The appetizers all looked amazing. We ended up with beer-batter fried beans and macaroni and cheese. Loved them both!! The batter on the beans was crazy addictive. I wanted to gobble up the whole plate. The mac & cheese was very homemade tasting, and had a great combo of cheeses. In my haste, I spilled quite a bit on the table :( so I didn't consume as much as hoped.

Meal-wise, I got a pork chop with applesauce dressing and cheesy grits. SO GOOD! I'm not a big meat person, but pork has always been one of my favorites. The sauce really well illuminated the flavors. Also, the way the meat sat in the cheesy grits was perfect. By the end they got all melty and mushy around it, mmmmmm. I love cheesy anything. Sadly I was full and couldn't finish (having like 5 meals in one "day" will do that), but I totally would go again.

The portions were HUGE! Eugi ordered chicken and got half a freaking bird. His side was Rice-a-Roni. This made me happy for multiple reasons. 1. Rice-a-Roni rocks 2. It's the San Francisco treat! How regionally appropriate :D 3. He's from Italy, was unaware of the brand, and I got to sing the jingle and describe the 90s commercial to him <:D
Rice-a-Roni, the flavor can't be beat~~
Recommend!

2 comments:

  1. well, the meal was worth the witheld info, so we're all good now

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did this blog die with the start of your anorexia attempt?

    ReplyDelete