Search This Blog

Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Mission Staple

As usual, RDN was just Eugi and me this week. Once again, we were trying to go to Emmy's, but since it was Manu's pick, we are tabling it for hopefully next week. After like 5 more picks from the hat to find a non-Manu entry, we ended up with Pizzeria Delfina.

I was very excited to FINALLY be going to Delfina. I feel like it's one of those places in the Mission that you pretty much have to have been to in order to be considered local. Delfina is split in to two sections, a fancy sit-down Italian side, and then the pizzeria. I've never been to the fancy side either, but it's pretty pricey and seems similar to Farina where I have been.

asparagus & rice soup
The pizzeria side always gets long lines and has no reservations, so it's best to get there on an off time. Even when we showed up at 8:00 on a Monday, it was packed with a long waiting list. It does have some outside seating, but it was wayyyy too freezing this week to go for it. Plus there is always a giant crowd of like 20 people waiting for their table looming around you. Eugi and I had nowhere to be, so we put our name down and waited for like... 40 mins-ish before we were finally seated.

4 cheese pizza
I've seen some awesome pictures on Yelp about specialty pizzas they have with things like eggs and corn. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to have any of those that night. We were both kind of boring and he got a margherita, and I got a 4 cheese pizza. While you wait, they give you bottomless long, thin & crispy breadsticks to eat. They were ok, but I wish they had either had some flavoring, or there would have been some type of dipping sauce to spice them up.

Eugi also got an asparagus and rice soup as an appetizer. I only tried a bite, but I actually didn't like it too much. It had too much asparagus and pepper flavoring for me.... but, I think that was on purpose due to the type of soup :P.

The pizzas arrived really quickly. Due to the constant traffic flow, the place seems very ready to turn customers in and out. There is a full kitchen in view in the tiny restaurant, and you can see 4-5 chefs busy at work preparing the pizzas.

1 cheese pizza haha
Both of them were tasty! The crust was thing and soft with yummy sauce. I really liked the cheeses on mine, you could clearly taste the different types. Eugi seemed to enjoy his a lot too. I haven't tried enough of the staple SF pizza places to determine where this ranks, but it's definitely a great thin crust contender. wish we had gotten some other varieties of toppings, but I guess there is always next time. It seemed like you could get take out pretty easily, so I might try that since my house isn't too far.

My favorite part of the shop was a giant mural of SF painted on the wall. It was really neat because it used bright colors and a very stylized art type to depict the city. On one side was bright oranges and reds to represent daytime, and on the other were darker night colors. My only beef was that the sections were split by the TransAmerica tower and not the Sutro >: | that totally would have made more sense. 

half of the amazing SF mural
It didn't quite meet the expectations from all the hype I'd heard... but a good local spot to check out! Then go down 3 shops and wait in line forever at Bi-Rite ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment