Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tastes of Childhood

Despite the fact that my SF family vacation 15 years ago sucked, I have a few very fond memories. One of them is definitely the amazing mini-donut shop on Pier 39. Things were different back then though, I remember the donut shop to be a mini kiosk that served only vanilla and chocolate donuts. You could get a mixed batch of 6 that they would place on a skewer. So magical!! When I came back as an intern in 2008, I made one trip to the Wharf area and was heartbroken when I found that the kiosk no longer existed.

Then I became OCD on Yelp :). While I was searching around for the potato restaurant, I found that a lot of people were talking about Trish's Donuts, a popular tourist shop on Pier 39. At first, I just assumed it was a new restaurant, but the more I read, the more I started to gain hope! Some of the reviewers claimed they had been coming to Trish's their whole life, and were mentioning that it had moved from kiosk to proper storefront. I kind of freaked out, could this be the magical mini-donut experience I had been longing for!?

adding cinnamon sugar to conveyor belt donuts
After we digested the potatoes and visited the museum, we wandered over to the Pier with high hopes. Trish's has a cute storefront, very touristy/Disneyland looking. The line was maybe 10 people long but moving very quickly. A short glance at the menu made me realize this was going to be different. Rather than chocolate and vanilla, the choices were cinnamon sugar and plain. Inside the little shop, I saw donuts were still being made via conveyor belt which always makes me smile. It also reminds me of the conveyor belt pancake printer that I hope to own one day :D

pancake printer
We got a 24 variety pack (cuz we are health conscious like that) and then the moment of truth! :\ they were really really good!!! But not what I remembered :(. These donuts are deliciously greasy/buttery melt-in-your-mouth yummy. Amazing! However, I remembered a more cake-like creation that could hold its composition in kabob format.

mmm greasy goodness
When I inevitably have another reason to be in that area, I will likely grab some more to go. They are really tasty and I would have enjoyed them substantially more had I not had the childhood bias.

No comments:

Post a Comment