Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Forever Love- Shamrock Shake

I never know why people obsess so much over the McRib sandwich when clearly McDonald's most amazing and beloved seasonal item is the highly festive St. Patrick's Day Shamrock Shake. To be honest, I don't even objectively like the taste of Shamrock Shakes that much... but something about them is so magical that I can't not get one every year.

1980s cup w/ Uncle O'Grimacey
I have been lucky to always have someone in my life to support me in my obsession. When I was younger, I'd have to hope for a late Ash Wednesday so my mom and I could enjoy them before her intensive fasting began. After I got to Penn, I had my awesome el Seandola to go on crazy, worst-franchise-location McDs tours with in search of this delicacy. I will never forget our Retailing class where I tried to cram our 3 ghetttttto McDs futile quest for the SS in to a 10 min semester-end project about strategic accessibility. One of my finest moments at Wharton. And now, I found out that kwdomke also shares my passion for this elusive shake!

Last night, we decided to finish up Mardi Gras revelry by hitting up the Fillmore McDonald's for a Shamrock Shake. It continues to blow my mind that the restaurant portion of that location closes at freaking 8pm. Despite the extensive foot traffic, they won't serve you via drive-thru unless you have a car, so we had to walk to our vehicles and drive commute back. so silllllly.

check out the packaging! and a very hyper post Mardi Gras Sharon
Major update!! For the first time since the 1980s when McDonald's phased out Uncle McGrimacey, there is some intensive new packaging on the Shamrock Shake! Rather than the typical, opaque soda cup of the past, now they are McCafe-ing it up in a fancy clear cup. They even put whipped cream AND a cherry on top!? This is completely unprecedented and slightly unwarranted in my opinion. I think something as inherently amazing as a Shamrock Shake can stand on its own compositional merit without having to rely on fancy packaging. Just me though :p.

Either way, I am overjoyed I got one before I started my Lent-an ice cream fast today. St. Patrick's Day is a week from tomorrow, don't miss out!

No comments:

Post a Comment