Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Chow Down on Church

Another one of the great traditions in my life right now is "Roommate Dinner Night." Although it uses the same pick-a-place out of a hat technique of Fancy Foods Wednesday and Movie Night, RDN is by far the most exclusive of the clubs. To be part of it, you must live in San Francisco and have a cool roommate. Surprisingly few of the people in our group fit that mold, so the only current members are me, Eugi, Manu, and Panch.

This week's RDN was my pick of Chow in the Castro. As per usual, Manu & Panch had to work late, so it was just Eugi and me. Chow is apparently a four location chain in the city. It features a broad menu of American and (shudder) organic foods to fit all palettes. Also apparently has a good brunch. It's a little bit hidden, right off of Market on Church. I really liked the entrance because you have to walk through a big velvet curtain after the main door! You feel like a magician :)

The restaurant is very homey with fall colors and almost a 1920s saloon vibe. We were able to sit by one of the big glass windows at the front letting us mass people watch outside. It seems like a really "local" place. For a Monday night, there was a hugely steady crowd, and everyone seemed to know what they were doing. 

I actually bought a beverage (which almost never happens at restaurants). Along with a wide variety of drinks and alcohol, they had some interesting add-ons. First there was "Hot Lips" soda (apparently raspberry and cherry) and then something called a "Blushing Girl." I was of course intrigued, especially when I found out it consisted of vanilla ice cream, orange yogurt, and raspberry soda. SO GOOD!!!! It tasted like an Orange Julius made with froyo. It was totally overpriced at like $6, but I really really enjoyed it.

I had a hard time picking my entree among the many safe choices. I ended up with a fried egg, ham and cheese sandwich (egg is another of my keywords that I always have to order). I was very tempted to try one of the pizzettas though. My sandwich was quite tasty!!! I was a bit confused when it came out with the fried egg on top, but some quick re-stacking mitigated any worries I had. The bread was like grilled cheese consistency which always makes me happy :). It also came with yummy fries.
Eugi ended up getting a side salad and a burger on a baguette. The choice of roll made it seem way classier than a typical burger and he seemed to enjoy it as well. We both noticed that it looks like the menu is changed seasonally, so definitely some incentive for repeat visits. RDN ftw!

No comments:

Post a Comment