Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

Germany- the Land of Weird Meats

Meat... Hahaha if you have read this blog or talked to me at all, you know that my least favorite food is meat, particularly weird foreign meat. I'm not a vegetarian by any means, but I just don't really get excited about meat stuffs. So I was VERY excited for all the eating adventures that'd go down in last week's trip to Berlin, Germany :p. I've broken the trip up in to 4 posts, and this first one is about: weird meat! enjoy :D
Currywurst!
As a true (or attempting to be true) foodie I was ready to take on the challenge of trying some new items. The first that was recommended to me was "currywurst", a very typically Berlin dish that's kind of German-Turkish fusion food. It is typically found in street carts and random walk-up stands. It consists of a fried sausage that is doused in a yummy almost BBQ sweet sauce and bunches of spicy curry powder. It's then chopped up and eaten over French fries withe cute mini fork things :).

I had to drag my dad and bro out at like 11 pm to run to a stand before it closed to ensure I got to try it. So freaking worth it!! Mmmm I love hot dogs and Indian, and this was the total combo of both :D. Highly recommend and will be looking for it in SF. Stay tuned!

Weisswurst....
Another typical (although more Bavarian which I didn't get to visit MAJOR TEAR) German dish is "weisswurst." I remember hearing about it in German class and being nauseated... As the name sounds like, it consists of a random white meat sausage and is traditionally eaten with a sweet mustard. I was only willing to try a bite of Nick's, and I thought it was kind of nasty. The sausage itself had a weird consitency and was too squishy inside its floppy casing. And due to peer pressure I even dipped it in the sweet mustard which was so freaking gross. Don't listen to what others say, it still totally tastes like mustard :p. I was very happy that I had chosen some generic more polish dog-esque sausage for my lunch. It, on the other hand, had a bit too thick of a constancy, but was still tasty.

meat medley
One of the weirdest German meat dishes I tried was at a traditional beerhaus in Potsdam. I was already in a great mood after seeing the amazingly Rococo palace of Sans Soussi, so I went in with an open mind. The menu was huge and included pages of dishes with lots of meats and fishes. Both Margaret and my dad got like sausage variety plates with shiztons of meat stuff. Nick and I decided to be more adventurous and try "wild boar" steak. A totally un-Sharon order, but it seemed more exotic than the sea bass I was about to order.
Sans Soussi

Wild Boar Steak
I really liked the steak actually!!! It was a bit tougher/gamier than a normal beef patty, and it had a very subtle sausagey flavoring. Definitely something I would order again at a random German restaurant :). It also came with some yummy little potato medallions that were fried on the outside and almost tasted like they had cheese mixed in the middle.

Germans also typically eat cold cuts for breakfast. One morning Margaret provided a "Berlin Breakfast" for us which had breads, cheese, and meat. It was an interesting combo and seemed like more of a sandwich to me. I actually enjoyed a little flower shaped bologne thing, but I was less keen (such a ken word) on a bacon looking meat that you had to rip the fat off of.
German Breakfast

Sausage Bin  @ Market
There were also lots of meat markets all around where people shop for sausages, cold cuts, steaks, fish and even items like geese and duck. It was fun seeing all the giant meat counters and Germans busily shopping for their kitchens. Makes me wish I cooked more :(

Surprisingly that was all the weird meat stuff I tried... on a family vacation with 6 people + baby, it's hard to be team lead on much.

No comments:

Post a Comment