Search This Blog

Friday, March 4, 2011

Fusion that Can't Fail

I've never really understood "fusion" food. It generally just ends up being over-priced (albeit often delicious) Americanized Asian stuff.  I am highly in to bizarre foods though, so when I read about the coming soon Sushirrito in SOMA, I could not wait!! A sushirrito is exactly what it sounds like: combo of sushi & a burrito. AMAZING! Only problem is that the store is open for weekday lunch, and I work in Redwood Shores :(
reminiscent of a burrito bar :)

Since I'm freaking sick again, I was rocking the wfh. Normally when I'm wfh, I make a point of it to stay in PJs and clean out the cabinets and fridge to the best of my ability. But today, I decided to be crazy since it's Friday and venture out on a lunch quest! After some Yelp research, I found out that Sushirrito tends to get horredous lines around the lunch rush, so I planned on getting about 30 mins before they closed at 3. Of course I was late to leave my house, so I rolled out around 2:20.

I like to pretend I'm an expert at SF driving which is a complete lie. I knew the place was in SOMA near 2nd and between Market and Mission. I hate driving on Market Street, so I thought I'd take a different route. I ended up on Folsom and got all the way down to SOMA when I ran in to an issue I had forgotten to take in to account. YOU CAN'T FREAKING MAKE ANY LEFT TURNS EVER! Stupid non-one-way-street no turn signs >: |. I was already totally late at this point, so I was starting to get super flustered. I decided to make some strategic right turns instead. failfailfail. I'll spare the details, but the highlight of that endeavor was me making a highly illegal u-turn to avoid turning on to some secret carpool entrance to the Bay Bridge. Good times.

I was too shy to take a pic of the rest cuz people were staring
Once I finally got my car on Mission heading back west, it was like 2:45 and I was freaking out. I took the first parking spot I could find on the side. The f-ing meters there are ridica expensive, and I only had 2 quarters which got me about 5 mins. I tried to stick my credit card in, but it would only fill it to 15 mins even though it was an hour meter?? (BTW, since when can you use credit in those? awesome!!). After that, I booked it up the street. I was totally shamelessly running and knocking in to people, but I was not going to miss my sushi burrito! I arrived at the shop with a few mins to spare and was amazed that there was still a decent sized crow waiting for their food. 

I ordered the "Latin Ninja" roll mainly because it had mango :). The menu had like 6 choices, and all of them sounded pretty tasty. They contain pretty typical sushi fair but with a little bit of extra sauces/spicing. The shop itself is pretty small and has a few standing room only tables that can be pulled down from the walls. Definitely a lunch spot for people who work in the area. 

Luckily my sushirrito was done quickly so I was able to run back to my car before the meter ran out. Oh and anyone in the vicinity of 1st and Mission today around 2:55 prolly saw my butt cuz a huge gust of wind came right as I tried to get in my car with my hands full. Even better times!

warning: do NOT remove from paper wrapper!
I was so relieved to arrive back in my beloved Twin Peaks apartment and settle down with my Outlook and lunch. I actually really enjoyed it :). It was pretty much just a giant sushi roll. I feel like it might have kind of tasted like pre-packed sushi, but they poured on a lot of green onion-ey cilantro sauce which made it really unique and good. I was a bit timid about the giant pieces of salmon, but they were fresh and delicious too :). I made the mistake of unwrapping the paper from the first half which made the first side totally explode everywhere!! Beware, they can be very messy. I ate it quickly an it was decently filling and felt pretty healthy. My only complaint is that $10+ seems like a steep price for the amount of food you get. 

I probably won't be back anytime soon due to how highly inaccessible it is to me, but I highly recommend everyone try it at least once! I love weird foods!!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment