Search This Blog

Friday, April 15, 2011

Non-German Foods in Berlin

 
Throwback to Germany! Just remembered there were a couple posts I forgot to get out. Sigh sigh

Supposedly Berlin is like the "San Francisco" of Germany because of the huge variance of people and foods in the city. We actually ended up eating a lot of non-German meals, and it was interesting to see how they differed from American versions.
 
I tried a couple of Italian dishes in Berlin, and truthfully, neither of them impressed me much. Granted, we were going to cheaper places that probably weren't that great. I would think due to sheer proximity, the food would be more authentic than back home... But who knows.

The first was doomed for the beginning cuz we brought a freaking 11 month old baby with that had been dragged around all day sans much food. I don't want to go in to the graphic details, but Margaret had leave with it after attempting to very very messily feed it fettuccine alfredo. At that place, I tried a pizza. I thought i was getting a chicken parm pizza, but somehow it ended up with giant slabs of prosciutto on it. Stupid language barriers >: /. It was actually pretty good once I pulled most of the toppings off. The other pizza I had was from their fav local shop in Charlottenburg. I ordered it because it had egg and fresh mozzarella. I love egg pizza so it was promising. The menu mention that it contained spinach which I am ok with.... but they weren't kidding. There was seriously like 2 lbs of spinach on this thing. It was in giant piles on top and even baked under the cheese :( it quickly got to be that nasty seaweed consistency and I had to pick most of it off.  Was jealous that my dad's veggie pizza had corn on it though (Carlos!!). Overall it was just bland stilll.
In Schwerin, we ate at a supposedly Czech cafe, but it seemed to have a generic menu. I got some weird "hawaiin" steak dish that had a giant slab of chicken with ham, pineapple, and cheese on top. It was actually pretty tasty :) although pretty fake American seeming. The best was the "cake buffet" there :D unfortunately not the same definition as a US buffet, but still fun to pick a slice of super delicious cake from behind the glass. I loooooooved the one I got. It was a big slice of very sweet lemon mouse cake with a cookie crust. I normally really dislike lemon baked goods, but somehow this was total win and one of the best baked goods I had all trip.

I actually ended up with another hawaiin ish dish at separate place! Apparently pineapple is popular in Berlin. At Marg & Danny's fav place, I grabbed a "fried turkey curry on rice". I was super hoping it would be like the japanese tonkatsu curry... but of course it wasn't. The curry was more of a cream sauce with little to no spice :(. It was ok... But nothing special either. I had a funny highly European "hawaiin mango lime lemonade" there as well, which was just a soda with no lemonade consistency. Nick got an "indescribable in English" Bavarian dish at this place. I can describe it... it was a freaking dennys grand slam :p fried eggs on ham with breakfast potato. Not saying that's a bad thing :)

Grabbed a couple yummy deserts too. This one might be German... But oh well. To my suggestion, we hit up the cafe on top of my family's fav Berlinian choco shop. The shop itself was super awesome. It had a gigantic selection of gourmet chocolates in all shapes, sizes, and flavors. Brought back lots to share so hit me up ;). They even had huge choco models of stuff like the Reichtag, Berliner Dome, and the Titanic. Fun!

The cafe was awesomeeeeeee!! Had a really tasty raspberry mouse tart thing. My dad got a delicious passion fruit tart and Nick got an intense choco puff. It was such a cute date spot overlooking the cool part of dowtown and it made me wanna come back with people my age.

There also were tonnnnnnnnns of "eis" (ice cream) shops all around. I'm putting it here because we ended up getting gelato in the Potsdam station which I'll pretend is Italian. They were pretty similar to American gelato stops except the flavors were odd. I got a double scoop of marshmallow (amazing) and the intriguingly bright blue schlumpf (I think it was maybe cotton candy). Really enjoyed that :)

The aforementioned foreign sweets were among the best things I ate on my trip. Kind of sad... Haha

PROLLY CUZ I NEVER F-ING GOT MY KARTOFFELPUFFEN >:(

No comments:

Post a Comment