Search This Blog

Friday, April 15, 2011

Fun Foods from the Rewe

[>: | blogger is being stupid so the pics have to go at the bottom. apologies]

  Ok, so not all of these are actually from Rewe, I just like the name because it reminds me of wawa :). This post just contains the fun convenience store/grocery packaged good German food stuff I bought. Similar to anywhere I go, I love checking out the local candies, cookies, and sodas so I stopped pretty much every night on my way back to my apartment.

First off, I LOVE FANTA ZERO!! Germany has a really tiny selection of sodas, especially diet. I think this is pretty status quo for Europe, but hard for a thirsty American like me who drinks like 100 ounces a day of beverage :p. Fanta Zero was one of like 4 diet sodas on the market, but it was all I needed! As everyone knows, non-USA Fanta is way better and kind of tastes like a combo of mineralwasser and Sunny D. I bought a liter almost every night of my trip and finished them all before leaving. I also tried "Mezzo Mix Zero", a Coke product that tasted kind of like orange hinted cola. It had nothin' on my FZ.

Another funny beverage I found in the Schwerin (Florence of the north!) train station was Hello Kitty soda. It was a mix of like strawberry-raspberry Capri Sun with mineralwasser. It wasn't that good, but I couldn't not buy an adorably pink Hello Kitty bev.

I hit the Haribo hardcore too :). I made a big effort to buy flavors that aren't common in America. I discovered an amazzzzzzzzing new type: yogi gummy. They are little cream fruit flavored gummies with liquid yogurt in the inside. So good. I bought like 10 types to bring home including caramel filled cows, fruity tires, pico artists, phantasia and Freddy Furkel pigs just to name a few.

Also got a new fav flavor of packaged cookies. Liebeinz cookies are square biscuits with a choco coating on one side. Difference is, the choco is actually super high quality delicious unlike most packed cookie ingredients. Mmmm. I only bought a couple Milka bars and Richter Sport because although delicious, they are pretty easily accessible in America.

I also hit the yogurt/pudding sections pretty hard. I really love those back home, and Germany had a way better selection. Usually I'd add one (or two....) on to my Fanta purchase as a late night dessert. I was really happy with the variety of flavors, especially in the rice pudding selection. I tended to stick with caramel and cinnamon, but ventured out and tried some yummy raspberry versions as well. Super wish they had such a wide selection in America. They also sold many quarks as yogurts which surprised me as I thought that was strictly a dipping/baking ingredient.

Rewe made me happy :) although the non-English speaking cashier lady totally thought I was retarded by the end of the week since I was in there every night, and always struggled at the end when I was pulling out my Euro coins to pay. Plus... I don't think normal people spend about $40 in 5 days on sodas and candy ':)


No comments:

Post a Comment