Search This Blog

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Pies: the Cupcakes of 2011

At least according to Yelp! And we all know that the social collective-conscious does not lie. Either way, I'm all about jumping on board with the bizarrely flavored baked good trends. So I started my pie experience at the highly appealing looking Mission Pie.

sign is a lot cuter in the sun
pie counter
Jess and I arrived around 4pm on a chilly yet clear Sunday, and I was amazed at the crowd! It's a small, cute, homey atmosphere with mismatched wooden tables and chairs. Every seat was taken, many by people idling away on their laptops and drinking coffee. I was really excited at the counter because of the plethora of savory and sweet pies. I wasn't too hungry, so I settled on the "blueberry custard" slice. I was super tempted by the potato, nettle and leek quiche, but just didn't have room today.

We ended up having to sit at kind of a group table, squashed in between noisey friends and some dude trying to browse the news (Facebook) on his tablet-esque device. Not sure if it was a small iPad clone or a large smart phone... but he was definitely taking up more this his share of the table. Luckily the group left so the poor guy didn't have to be subjected to a full 30 mins of our guy gossiping (although it was quite entertaining ;D).

SNAIL ART!
The pie itself was sadly not that exciting. It was alright... but nothing to write home about. What confused me was the consistency and flavor of the custard. In my book, custard is like thick pudding, but this pie was almost like omelet texture with a sweet egg taste. At the bottom was some canned blueberry paste. It wasn't bad, it just was not what I was hoping for or expecting. The crust was amazing though :) so I will try to give this place another chance with a diff flavor of pie. 

 Mission Pie? More like Epic Pie! (had to blow this up for full-on chiaroscuroed awesome)
It was definitely pleasant, but not something I'd repeat ASAP

No comments:

Post a Comment